Why Genetics is important to your degree program


Compiled by: Agnes Gwyneth Gutierrez (Allosyndesis)

Image result for why genetics?

In an earlier edition of Genews, we asked BS Biology students from different majors the following question: "Why is genetics important to your major field?", in order to know how genetics serves as a key element in understanding other life sciences  and how it links with other major fields like Microbiology, Zoology, Wildlife, Ecology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Plant Biology, and Systematics.

Now, we seek to broaden the horizon in which genetics is considered essential by asking students from different degree programs who are currently taking Bio 30 the following question:

GENEWS Team: “How is genetics important to you and your degree program?”

---

“Genetics allows for us agricultural biotechnologists to understand the crops we grow and the animals we raise to better feed the growing population of the world. Advances in the study of genetics enable us to engineer products that people need, produce more with less, and hopefully, reach food security.” 

Charlene Niebres, Batch 2018, BS Agricultural Biotechnology

“Genetics answered a lot of questions for me. “Why am I like this?”, “Why do I seem different?”, and a lot more. It helped me understand myself on a molecular level, and since then, I was able to appreciate and love myself. By studying genetics, I’ve learned that every organism has a unique chromosome structure. It explains the functions and roles of genes. From the molecular level, it helped me understand organisms in the macro level as well – which is what Biology is about. From the molecular to the macro level, we are able to comprehend life.”
                                                     
Drew Kyla Baysa, Batch 2018, BS Biology

“Genetics has helped me fully grasp the basics I need for my nutrition majors. This course will help me as I continue my nutrition studies: the importance of knowing the similarities and differences between humans in order to develop a well-balanced diet. Furthermore, this course has helped me to be able to explore the benefits of genetic engineering for the enhancement of the nutritional intake of a patient.”

Allen Gabor, Batch 2019, BS Nutrition

“Nutrition deals with humans and the metabolic pathways that occur inside a human's body. In order to fully understand the process of these pathways, we must first learn the small details like studying the genes responsible for certain traits. Learning genetics will help us in explaining and analyzing the steps in each process, and how they affect the individual and the community the individual belongs to.”

Ayra Catapang, Batch 2019, BS Nutrition

“It helps us understand why there are variations among us. How certain diseases, conditions, or traits are inherited by the infants from their parents. Genetics is very essential, especially in my course, because it is a prerequisite for other subjects, and a great branch of science that will be helpful for my future when I'm in med school.”

Jay Harold Odon, Batch 2019, BS Nutrition

“Genetics is important to me, personally, because it has helped me understand how my parents were able to pass on their traits to me. It also helped me understand the presence of different conditions among certain individuals. It is also important in my degree program, BS Nutrition, because each and everyone's diet is influenced by a lot of factors and one of them is their genes. Hence, studying genetics for my degree program is truly important.”

Ann Jullian Mendoza, Batch 2019, BS Nutrition

“Me, being a statistics student, genetics may seem not really connected [to my degree program]. But as everyone says, math is a language of science. The idea of genetics cannot be fully understood without statistics. For instance, during the discussion in the lab we had a question on the formula of getting the CC (crossing-over coincidence). Being a statistics major, I observed that there is an overlapping event occurring at DCO (double cross-over) which is used in the formula to get SCO (single cross-over) I and II. That formula looks very similar to conditional probability. And actually it was! The distances we computed in linkage maps are not discrete numbers of distance but more likely the chance that is logically represented as distance. It was great to observe a connection between statistics and genetics as I enjoy both subjects.”

He Rim Kang, Batch 2016, BS Statistics

“Genetics is important to me since I acquire more knowledge about life and understand my health even more. Genetics is also important to my chosen degree program, which is BS Statistics, because I could come up with data statistics about human beings that can be a vital study not only for me, but also for everyone.”

- Aubrey Aseron, Batch 2019, BS Statistics

“I was taught that genetics is the most interesting and fascinating in the field of Biology. Also, it can explain many things. Genetics is important to me since it can explain where I came from and how am I different to others. Understanding genetics can help me detect genetic disorders which can help and improve the quality of life of the sufferer. Statistics is a cornerstone for research, and researches are vital to our growth and development as human beings and as occupants of the earth. This can be said for countless of areas including agriculture, economy, health, medicine, and much more. Studying the statistics behind genetic mutation and lethal genes are just [a few examples as to why genetics is important] to my chosen degree program that would help humanity become aware of the existence of such cases, and further serve as a medium of prevention, which, ultimately, can serve my purpose in my chosen degree program.

“Statistics also work hand in hand in one of sub-field of genetics which is Statistical Genetics, a scientific field concerned with the development of statistical methods for drawing inferences from genetic data. Outcomes in this field help people generate theories that can help in explaining evolution and how the composition changes over time.”

Wilmar Mangapot, Batch 2019, BS Statistics

---

The study of genetics is not limited to Biology and its group of sciences, but is also useful in other related fields. While genetics can be considered as an important branch of Biology, its scope does not end here. As there are many concepts that are helpful in understanding genetics, from chemistry to statistics, so does the opposite hold true, wherein other fields can be understood better with the help of genetics.

0 Comments